I will make this intro short and sweet I promise. My husband and I just got back from a much need vacation, just the two of us. We took a 7-day cruise from Tampa into the Western Caribbean and it was marvelous. I never lost contact with my T1D thanks to our lovely Dexcom G5 (we will talk more about this in a later post) and her numbers stayed beautifully in line! This cruise had some amazing food, which let’s be honest, that’s really what we go for right?
So one night we had BBQ Chicken FlatBreads as an appetizer and I fell in love. I started looking around at an average amount of carbohydrates for these and they ranged around 50-60g each! Well now I was determined to make it carb friendly because I knew I wanted to have it again and I knew Abbie would LOVE it! I already had a go to Flat Bread and the rest of the ingredients were pretty simple to make lower carb with the exception of the BBQ sauce. This was a pretty difficult search until I found Annie’s BBQ sauce at only 6g per 2tbsp, it’s one of the lowest carb BBQ sauces with the best flavors I have found. These came out to be around 15g each with ingredients listed!
So on to the recipe!
BBQ Chicken FlatBreads – Serves 4
- Joseph’s Lavash Bread (2 whole cut in half)
- 8tbsp Annie’s Originial BBQ Sauce
- 4 cups Cooked grilled chicken strips (you can use Tyson Frozen Grilled Strips or Make your Own)
- 4 Cups Colby Jack Cheese
- 2tbsp Butter
- 1tbsp Minced Garlic
- Red Onion (Diced)
- Sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 4-6 Slices of Turkey Bacon Cooked and Cut up
- Dried Cilantro
- Take each full size flat bread and cut it in half. Place on aluminum foil lined cooking sheet that is lightly sprayed.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and add sliced mushrooms. Add 1tpsp of minced garlic. Saute until browned. Remove from heat.
- Brush 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce on each of the flat bread halves.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on each half.
- Top each flat bread with chicken, red onion, mushrooms, and bacon.
- Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup cheese on top of each flat bread.
- Sprinkle dried cilantro on top.
- Drizzle an additional 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce over each flat bread.
- Place in pre-heated oven for approximately 7-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts Per Flatbread: 600 Calories| 42g Fat| 15g Carb| 45g Protein
Mom to two beautiful girls, Abbie and Jamee. Abbie was diagnosed with T1D a little over 2 years ago and it brought our family closer together in ways we couldn’t imagine . I am a full time wife, mom, Emergency 911 Dispatcher and I am working on my second Masters of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Oh yea... and now a blogger! 💙