Can I just say I love my Instant Pot! I had it before Abbie’s diagnosis and I had been making home made Greek yogurt for about 6 months prior. However, I did not learn how much lower in carbs and how much higher in protein than regular store bought it was until I did some research. Your average store bought Greek yogurt has about 13g-18g of protein and 20-25g of carbs per 4.5oz cup. Now you can definitely get them lower, but then you are going with alternative sugar options and lots of preservatives.
This Instant Pot Greek Yogurt takes literally 3 ingredients, has 22g of protein and 10g of carbs per 5oz cup. No preservatives, no sugar substitute, and it still has the active cultures. There are a couple of things I have that make this process easier: an extra Instant Pot Inner pot and Metal strainer to fit in it; EuroCuisine Greek Yogurt Strainer, small plastic 5oz cups with lids to store the yogurt. I use both the metal strain and the EuroCuisine Strainer as this will make almost 6 quarts of yogurt which will not fit in one alone.
KEY NOTE: You have to have the Instant Pot Duo with the yogurt function!
Ingredients: (This is if you have the two strainers, if you only have 1, cut the ingredients in half)
- 2 – Ultra Pasteurized Half Gallon Milk (1%, 2%, or Whole milk; I use whole milk and I use Fair Life Brand, it has to be ULTRA PASTEURIZED)
- 2 – 16oz Natural Bliss Vanilla Creamer (it has to be this creamer because of the ingredients, they are very simple, anything else will cause the yogurt to fail)
- 1 – 5.3oz Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt (You really only have to buy this once and can freeze and use your own next time around)
Directions: (Note: your Instant Pot will be out of commission for at least a day; plan accordingly)
- Pour the milk into the Instant Pot.
- Take 2-4tbsp of the Chobani Greek Yogurt and put into milk. Whisk for approximately 30-45seconds.
- Pour in both Natural Bliss Creamers, which for about 15 seconds.
- Place a regular lid on the pot; if you do not have a regular lid that fits, you can put your pressure lid on there just make sure it is open to venting. We are NOT PRESSURE COOKING.
- Push the Yogurt Function on the Instant Pot. It should automatically default to “Normal” and 8hours. If it doesn’t press the plus or minus to adjust the time, and press the yogurt button until it says “Normal”.
- You will hear a beep and the time will read 00:00. This is the only time your instant pot counts up instead of down. Now you leave it for 8 hours. (Note: I usually try to do this around 1-2pm so it finishes right before bed)
- Once it finishes, take the entire pot with the lid and put it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours but no less than 4 hours.
- After it refrigerates, get your extra pot out, place the metal strainer in it along with 4 coffee filters laid flat inside the strainer. Also get out the extra EuroCuisine Strainer.
- Use a spatula and pour the contents into the strainers. Cover them with lids or aluminum foil and put back in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. The longer you leave them the thicker the yogurt will be. This is straining the whey out which is what makes Greek Yogurt.
- Once they are strained, pour the contents back into one pot and use a whisk or hand mixer to whisk smooth, as it will be lumpy right now. Then spoon into containers. It will be good for 2 weeks.